“Don’t quit piano; what if you want to teach?” said my father to my teenage self when I told him I wanted to quit lessons to play sports. My response was, “Never!”
After the much-needed break, I kept drifting back to music and lessons during post-secondary studies. Now I have 30 years of teaching experience, and hold Associate Diplomas (ARCT) in both Piano Teaching and Performance from the Royal Conservatory of Music. I have had the privilege of coaching musicians from beginner to established teachers. As an accompanist I collaborate with instrumentalists and vocalists for auditions, festivals, exams, and recitals. I have volunteered as a church musician. I also work as a studio session musician and enjoy playing keyboards in a band.
In pursuit of teaching excellence I still take lessons and regularly attend workshops, webinars, and master classes. I have completed the Royal Conservatory of Music’s Teaching Online Course and am a Certified Teacher, Advanced Specialist in Piano, Harmony, and History.
ORMTA Ottawa Keyboard Harmony Scholarships
- 2022 Intermediate Keyboard Harmony – Evelyn Campbell
- 2021 Intermediate Keyboard Harmony – Jenny Zhang
- 2019 Junior Keyboard Harmony – Yuan Linda Tang
- 2017 Junior Keyboard Harmony – Tracey Yu
- 2014 Intermediate Keyboard Harmony – Katerina Paravalos
RCM Provincial Gold Medal
- 2018 Intermediate Piano Pedagogy – Sarah Daly